Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A Meme from Sam

Okay, I'll play but I don't have anyone to hand it along to so I guess it won't be going anywhere from here.

Five Light Reads
  • JSA Comics (from DC)

  • Any of Max Allan Collins' Nate Heller novels

  • Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

  • Any Nero Wolfe stories by Rex Stout

  • Positively Fif th Street by James McManus

Five Reads To Make Me Think (then give me a headache from thinking too much)
  • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

  • Hawaii by James Michener - Loved the way he used the location as a character

  • The National Dream/The Last Spike by Pierre Berton - Proof positive that history isn't boring but how it's presented frequently is.

  • Winning At Poker by Dave Scarf - my favourite Poker book but then I still dont own SuperSystem 2 by Doyle Brunson

  • Most manuals for electronics - but not in a good way

Five Songs Which Turn Me On

Well I dont know about Turn Me On but:
  • La Marseilles (I swear, every time I hear this I get chills up and own my spine)

  • Sing Sing Sing - Benny Goodman orchestra

  • Your Cheatin' Heart - by Hank Williams but I prefer the Ray Charles cover

  • Hurt - the Johnny Cash cover of the Nine Inch Nails song

  • Crying - the version by Roy Orbison and k.d. lang

Five Best Movie Dramas
  • All The Presidents Men

  • Original version of The Manchurian Candidate (for Angela Landsbury's performance if for nothing else)

  • Original version of Inherit The Wind (Frederic March and Spencer Tracy)

  • Casablanca

  • The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone - they dont make guys likethat anymore)

  • Honourable mention to Notorious (Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman have a kissing scene that is explosive).

Five Best Movie Comedies
  • Speedy (Harold Lloyd - probably not the best Lloyd but the best of the few I've seen)

  • The General (well really any Buster Keaton but this is the one that is always shown)

  • Duck Soup (The Marx Brothers)

  • Philadelphia Story (Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart)

  • What's Up Doc (Ryan O'Neal, Barbra Streisand)

No comments: